What Type of Tea is Best for Dessert?
Tea doesn't have to be just for breakfast, dinner, or bedtime; you can enjoy tea with your dessert as well. Dessert can include any number of sweets, such as pastries, fruit, cakes, pie, pudding, cookies, and more; therefore, there are several different types and flavors of tea that you might enjoy with various desserts. Or, for those that are skipping dessert because they are trying to shed a few pounds, there are several dessert teas that are likely to satisfy that sweet tooth rather than a pastry, cake or cookie. You don't have to deprive yourself of the guilty pleasures.
Dessert teas might contain, but are not limited to the following ingredients:
- Chocolate or cocoa
- Cinnamon or other spices, such as ginger, cardamom, cloves, and more
- Vanilla or vanilla beans
- Fruit including apples, mango, apricot, raspberry, pineapple, papaya, lemon, orange, cherry, and many more.
- Nuts including almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts.
- Flowers, yes flowers! They not only add a lovely aroma, but a sweet taste as well. Some of the flowers included in dessert teas include safflower, rose, saffron and hibiscus.
- Cream, milk, honey, and/or sugar can be added to sweeten the pot.
You might be asking yourself how you would choose what type or flavor of tea to have with dessert. Let's see if we can help you with a few options:
- If having white cake or a dessert that isn't as sweet as some, you might want to accentuate with a fruit flavored or chocolate flavored dessert tea.
- If you are having a fruit filled pastry or pie, you might want to match the tea to the flavor of the fruit you are eating; for instance, apple, mango, raspberry, cherry, and lemon are among the many fruit flavored teas you can choose from.
- If you are eating a dessert that is overly sweet, you might offset it with something a little tangy, such as citrus.
- If you are a chocolate lover and looking for something to accent that piece of chocolate candy, cake or cookie, you will find a few different suitable options with a chocolate or cocoa flavor.
- Flowered teas can be good with any dessert for the finishing touch, with a welcoming sweet aroma and pleasant taste--it's like the icing on the cake!
As you can see, the options are endless and we suggest that you experiment with several teas to find the one that is right for your dessert selection.